Here is the second installment of our guide to home buying, and it’s another list. These 5 buying tips will save you time, money, and headaches.
- Get Pre-Qualified – before you can seriously consider purchasing a home, it’s important to know exactly how much you can afford. This can be the scariest part of the buying process for some. It’s perfectly natural to be nervous, but we can put you in touch with someone you can trust to help get you pre-qualified.
- Always Think Resale – In the US, due to the mobility of our economy, the length of ownership is about 5 to 7 years. This is important to keep in mind when looking for your next home. For instance, homes backing up to a busy street or railroad sell for less, and take longer to sell then other homes in the neighborhood.
- Aesthetics Can Be Changed – flooring, light fixtures, plumbing, paint colors and wallpaper can all be changed. Don’t let the lime green wallpaper turn you off of your potential dream home. Think of how much fun it will be to make a home yours!
- Don’t WAIT! – to often, we have seen home buyers fall in love with a property, wait a few days to make a decision because they are nervous, and the home that they fell in love with SOLD! If you love the home, don’t wait for someone else to live in YOUR home – be prepared to write an offer!
- Compare Sales – to determine the best price to offer, or to know if the asking price is correct, look at the recent sales of similar homes, called “comparable sales.” Comparable sales are recent sales of homes that compare closely to the one you are looking to purchase, usually sold in the past few months. Specifically, you want to compare prices of homes that are similar in square footage, garage spaces, number of bedrooms and baths, lot size, etc. Let us help you with a Buyer’s Market Analysis.