If you want or need a loan to purchase your next home you are going to have to supply the lender with a lot of information. Here is a list of documents that you should have ready to give to your lender. You won’t need everything on this list to get a preapproval letter, but you will need it once you have a home under contract in order to get final loan approval.
Most lenders will have you go online to apply in order to gain pre-approval. Following is the information you need to provide during the loan application process (these documents are usually uploaded to the lending specialist through a secured link):
- Non-expired Government ID and Social Security Number
- Name and complete address for past 2 years of residence
- Employment history, including names, addresses, phone numbers for the past 2 years.
- Copies of your most recent pay stubs and W-2 forms (past 2 years).
- Verification of other income (social security, child support, retirement).
- Copies of signed tax returns including all schedules (past 2 years).
- Social Security & Pension Award letters.
- If you have rental property income: Copies of all signed lease agreements.
- Copies of all bank statements from checking/savings accounts (past 2 months).
- CD certificates and statements for retirement accounts (most recent 2 months or quarterly statement).
- Gift funds will need gift letter of proof of gift.
- Credit cards (current balances and monthly payments).
- Installment loans (car, student, etc.).
- Mortgage loans (property address, lender with address, account numbers, monthly payment and balance owed on all properties presently owned or sold within the last 2 years). Bring proof of sale for properties sold.
- Childcare expense/support (name, address, phone number). [VA loans only]
- Bankruptcy – bring discharge and schedule of creditors.
- Adverse credit – bring letters of explanation.
- Divorce – bring your Divorce Decrees, property settlements, quitclaim deeds, modifications, etc.
- VA only – bring Form DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility.
- Retires – bring retirement and/or Social Security Award Letter.